What is Single Sign-On?
Single Sign-On (SSO) is a user authentication mechanism that provides privileged access to multiple network resources with a single workstation login. Software Europe’s products provide SSO functionality using SAML (Security Assertion Markup Language) 2.0 Assertions to identify user activity.
Does your organisation use multiple applications that require user logon, and are the applications being used web-based?
It is the nature of single sign-on systems for each user to have only one username and password that allows them to login to all of the connected services.
This eliminates the hassle of logging in and out of multiple applications and creates a seamless, integrated experience for users whilst keeping everybody more secure.
Benefits of Single Sign-On
- Ease of use — users only need to sign in once to gain automatic access to multiple resources across your organisation.
- Improved user experience — because users no longer need to remember multiple passwords, this provides a greater user experience.
- Reduced support costs — no forgotten passwords which results in less stress on the helpdesk producing significant cost savings.
- Enhanced security — ability to enforce uniform enterprise authentication and/or authorisation policies across the enterprise.
Platforms and Supported Standards
If your intranet or portal can allow external access using secure authentication or single sign-on then SSO is an option.The Software Europe SSO feature currently supports SAML 2.0 Assertions.
Security Assertion Markup Language is a computing standard for exchanging authentication and authorisation data between security domains. SAML 2.0 passes the security information between the two systems.
How Does Single Sign-On Work?
- The user logs into their intranet or portal system.
- They are presented with the applications and programs available to them.
- They click on the link for the selected application.
- The authentication request is automatically processed in the background.
- Their credentials are automatically validated and the user is admitted access instantly into the application.
Self-registration by new users, non-staff and contractors allows a fast-track entry into Selenity Expenses, keeping your established employees free from unnecessary admin.
Make the best use of people’s time and skills by allowing self-registration of new users – ideal for new people in your organisation as well as non-staff and contractors. Why tie-up the time of your line managers when you don’t need to?
Self-registration frees management and puts your people in control
- Quickly get new employees on the system.
- Ideal for non-staff and contractors.